Earl Gray Tea: composition, useful properties, popular brands
The British drink tea several times a day. For breakfast, they love to brew Earl Gray black tea. There is a legend that he was so named in honor of Charles Earl Gray. He was in 1830 the famous prime minister of Great Britain. At this time, Earl Gray tea became popular and later spread throughout the world. This is largely due to the aroma with citrus notes, as its main component is bergamot oil.
The composition of the drink
Earl Gray most often consists of three types of large-leaf tea: Indian, Ceylon and Chinese. Sometimes they use only Indian, which, however, does not prevent this drink from being unique.
The main ingredient is bergamot oil. Quality Earl Gray tea with bergamot should have a good aroma, be strong and useful due to its composition.
It is bergamot that gives a hot drink freshness and a certain softness of taste.The fruit itself has a bitter-sour taste, as it is a hybrid of citron and orange. Bergamot tea with a refined aroma and a slightly citrus aftertaste makes it popular all over the world.
The right way to brew tea
In order for the Earl Gray tea to reveal its unique taste, it is necessary to brew it properly. In addition to quality tea, you must use pure water - bottled or past filtration and purification system.
For brewing delicious tea, you will also need a special kettle. Best of all, if it is clay or porcelain, since if you use glass or plastic, the drink can dim from the sun's rays.
“Earl Gray” is not brewed very well, otherwise the taste of bergamot will not be felt. Usually for 300 ml of liquid there are 2 teaspoons of tea. The correct brewing process can be broken down into stages. To make a delicious tea, do the following:
- prepare the kettle. It is necessary to rinse the dishes with boiling water right before brewing;
- put the right amount of Earl Gray tea in the kettle;
- fill it with hot water, the temperature of which should be 95 degrees.Boiling water is usually never poured;
- after five seconds, pour off the hot water so that the tea is clear and in the future can reveal all its taste and beneficial properties;
- once again fill the brew with hot water and let it brew for 5–7 minutes.
Now you can enjoy the rich taste and aroma of Earl Gray tea. It can be brewed up to six times, and it will have the same taste as in the beginning.
Other ways to use Earl Gray
Tea can not only be brewed, but also added to baked goods. Muffins and muffins acquire the unusual flavor of bergamot and become a useful dessert.
There is also a way to make truffles with bergamot. A small amount of Earl Gray tea is added to the cream and brought to the boil. After filtering and cooling them for four hours. Grated bitter chocolate is combined with cream, whipped and form balls. Melt some more bitter chocolate and dip balls in it, then roll them down in natural cocoa.
Popular Earl Gray Tea Brands
Bergamot tea is sold in tea bags. There is also a large leaf option for brewing in a kettle.Sometimes in stores you can find “Earl Gray” with bergamot and lemon.
Bergamot tea is produced by various companies around the world. Most of this drink is made in England. In the first place put the company "Twins". Next on the list is Ahmad Earl Gray tea. In third place among the British brands is the manufacturer Bigelow.
In France, the best tea with bergamot is considered "Count Jardin." Around the world, they sell Lipton tea, which is almost as good as the products of the Twining and Ahmad Tea Ltd. companies.
The benefits of the daily use of "Earl Gray" is large enough, because this tea with bergamot
- acts as an antidepressant. Drink with bergamot calms the nervous system, relieves tension and fear;
- contains antioxidants - substances that cope with the oxidative processes of free radicals. Due to this, your immunity will be stronger, which will prevent the emergence of many diseases. It’s enough to drink one cup of tea a day;
- promotes an accelerated weight loss process. Earl Gray tea speeds up metabolic processes, but only if you drink it without additional products, such as sugar, honey, milk. It is allowed to add a slice of lemon;
- restores energy.Earl Gray can very well replace morning coffee, as it also contains caffeine, but at a much lower dosage. Therefore, in the morning you can make tea stronger to wake up and recharge your batteries;
- helps regulate blood sugar. Earl Gray tea reduces blood sugar and cholesterol levels;
- regulates the gastrointestinal tract. Tea with bergamot relieves stomach cramps, nausea, intestinal discomfort;
- useful for colds. Helps reduce fever, relieves symptoms of sore throat, runny nose and pneumonia.