How to make a chest?
Watch the video
It's no secret that people who are addictedand talent for manual labor, are able to independently assemble furniture or make a variety of different products. The most talented designers can even build a house with their own hands! But then, without which none of them can cope, is the instruction. Our article offers detailed instructions and tips on how to make a chest.
Chest with your own hands!
Before proceeding to the recommendations,that the design features of the chests can vary. We take as a basis the classical form of the trunk, so that in the end we get a capacious wooden box. Here's what you need to do:
- To begin with it is necessary to be defined with the sizesthe future chest. To do this, you need to understand where you want to put it, having successfully entered into the interior of the room. After determining the location, estimate the dimensions: height, length and width.
- Make a drawing of the future product, where it will be marked with its dimensions. The drawing should be as clear as you can use it in the design.
- Care should be taken to prepare sawn timber. If the house has a strong rectangular box of good wood, then as athe basics can use it. If not, then the best chipboard is 16 mm thick.
- Approximate dimensions: chest walls (front and rear) - 250 mm by 840 mm, (lateral) - 250 mm by 360 mm; the bottom of the trunk is 360 mm by 810 mm; the cover is 412 mm by 862 mm.
- In addition, you need to think over the support for the bottom. It can be made of 15 mm 15 mm wooden blocks. The length is 810 mm (2 pcs.), And the width is 330 mm (2 pcs.);
- Do not forget also that the lid of the chestshould be easy to open. After all, a chest made by one's own hands must be functional. As a result, the rack for fixing should be obtained in such sizes - 15 mm by 33 mm by 686 mm.
Stages of the trunk assembly:
The wooden chest is assembled according to the following algorithm:
- Screw the supports for the bottom to all four walls of the chest. They should be level with the lower edges of the sides. Subsequently, this will serve to install the bottom of the chest.
- Now you need to connect all the walls of the box. This can be done with the help of self-tapping screws. Previously, you will need to drill the necessary holes in each of the walls.
- It's time to attach the bottom to the product. To do this, we put a sheet of chipboard into the walls and screw it to the supports made beforehand. For fixing we use self-tapping screws.
- Decide on the wall that will be the back. It must be fastened to the mounting rail. Recall that this element of constructionshould be on the outside of the chest, butnot inside. For fixing, use wood glue. To be sure, many masters use three screws on the inside of the chest, preventing rapid wear of this element of the structure. Now you need to wait until the glue dries. After that, we need a piano loop. It will be attached to the lid of our chest.
- We screw the lid of the trunk to the piano loop. For additional durability of the cover, some craftsmen use telescopic brackets. However, this is not always justified, because, as a rule, a chest is placed near the wall. Accordingly, its lid can be leant against the wall. The bracket is bolted to the lid and the chest wall. You can use only one bracket instead of two.
As decorative elements we offeruse small wooden rhombuses. Before installation on the chest, they can be ground, polished and varnished. One diamond is made of four small thin bars, which are joined together by hot melt. Do not forget about the ratio of sizes and the number of these decorative elements. Three lacquered wooden diamonds on the right and on the left side of the chest will be enough.