The best attractions of Suzdal
The sights of Suzdal and the beauty of this ancient city do not leave anyone indifferent. Tourists visit it all year round. Both in summer and in winter, the sights of Suzdal fascinate travelers. Temples, monastic ensembles, belfries - all these monuments of ancient Russian architecture allow you to plunge into the atmosphere of the past.
Suzdal is a city in which events occurred once that left a deep mark in the history of Russia. The walls of churches and monasteries - witnesses of bloody crimes, unusual feats, cruel conspiracies. There are many beautiful ancient cities in Russia, but the sights of Suzdal have a special grandeur. There are no faceless and boring lanes. You will not find inconspicuous buildings in this city. Anyone who has been here will certainly return more than once.
There are many reviews about the sights of Suzdal, but among them there is not a single discreet, indifferent, devoid of emotions. And it's not just the architecture of the Kremlin and the market square.The sights of Suzdal are small wooden houses with carved windows, two-story merchant buildings, and picturesque landscapes that seem to have served as a material for the artists who created illustrations for Russian folk tales.
This city is deprived of the main drawback of most of the ancient Russian settlements - there is no contrast between the well-groomed, luxurious center and neglected outskirts. Since the early nineties, the tourist and hotel business has been developing rapidly.
During excursions to the sights of Suzdal, guests of this wonderful city will learn interesting stories related to one or another architectural monument. Here are some of them.
It is from the ancient city center that one should begin acquaintance with the architectural landmarks of Suzdal. In the photo below you can see what the Kremlin looks like in the summer. The temple with blue domes towers majestically above the plain. There are no other buildings nearby - only dense forest islands and glade, the path along which leads to the main gate.
Evening winter Suzdal, according to tourists, has its charm.In order to verify this, it is worth taking a look at the photo below.
In the description of the attractions of Suzdal, located on the territory of the Kremlin, usually include interesting historical facts. These buildings have existed for a long time, but they have been restored more than once and, of course, few of them have their original appearance.
The Kremlin was built in the X century. It is located in the bend of the Kamenka river, in the southern part of Suzdal. Since 2017, this monument of architecture is included in the list of cultural heritage sites of the Kremlin Ensemble. At the end of the XI century, a fortress appeared here, surrounded by earthen ramparts, the total length of which was one and a half kilometers. On these shafts towers and log walls towered.
In the second half of the XV century the building was strengthened. In 1677 a pine wall was erected with gates and towers. But all these wooden structures died in the fire of 1719. It is difficult to say what the Kremlin looked like even 100 years ago. Very few photos of the sights of the city of Suzdal, made at the beginning of the 20th century, have been preserved. In addition, as is known, in the 20s of the last century, most of the Russian churches were destroyed. Recovery began in the 50s.Descriptions of the sights of Suzdal in the form in which they were a hundred or two hundred years ago, based on archaeological excavations.
The temple is located at the entrance to the Kremlin, from the central square. Lower quadrangle belongs to the second half of the XVII century. The upper octagon, which crowns only one small dome, has a later origin. A similar type of construction was used already in Peter the Great.
Until 1617, on the site of the Assumption Church was a wooden building. In the XV century, it belonged to Prince Ivan III. In 1958, the temple was restored by Alexei Varganov. It is thanks to this architect that the Church of the Assumption looks today like we see it on the photo below.
The names of the attractions of Suzdal, located on the territory of the Kremlin:
- Church of the Nativity.
- Nicholas Church.
- Assumption Church.
The names of the attractions of Suzdal, which are outside the Kremlin:
- Pokrovsky Monastery.
- Monastery of Saint Euthymius.
- Alexander Monastery.
- Rizopolozhensky monastery.
- Vasilyevsky Monastery.
Church of the Nativity
The temple was built in the XVIII century.It is located in the south-eastern part of the Kremlin, near the fortress wall. The Church of the Nativity of Christ is called the winter temple. In this building there is not that special grandeur that other architectural monuments possess, located in the center of the old part of Suzdal. It is shaped like a residential building. The refectory, the apse, the porch are adjacent to the main part of the building. The walls of the temple are completed with a cornice belt and a jagged frieze.
And this temple is located in the south-eastern part of the Kremlin. It is called the summer church. Built around the 20s of the XVIII century. This is one of the first temples that were built after the great fire that occurred in 1719. The building has a device typical of the posad church. It consists of a main part and a bell tower. Connects them refectory. Carved window frames and perspective portal are simple elegant wall decorations of the main part. Nikolskaya Church was restored in the 1960s.
Monastery of Saint Euthymius
This ancient architectural complex was founded in the middle of the XIV century. Initially, like many similar buildings, it was a fortress designed to protect the city from its enemies, who raided with enviable regularity.The Savior Monastery of St. Euthymius is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The walls of the buildings of this complex keep many terrible secrets. Interesting facts from the history of the monastery:
- In the second half of the 18th century, a prison was set up here for "insane convicts" (prisoners).
- In 1829, Major Fyodor Shakhovsky, a member of the Decembrist uprising, died here.
- In 1840, the foreteller Abel died here, imprisoned on the orders of Nicholas II and having spent fourteen years in the monastery.
- After the revolution, the prison, located on the territory of the monastery, was transformed into an insulator for political criminals.
- Since 1941, there was a filtration camp, where soldiers and officers who were in captivity were inspected.
The architectural complex is located on the right bank of Kamenka. Founded in 1364. The modern look of the ensemble was formed in the XVI century. At that time, princes from the monastery made a place of imprisonment for representatives of aristocratic families. In 1933 there was a military biological laboratory - sharashka, in which political prisoners worked.
The main building of the ensemble - the Pokrovsky Cathedral, founded in 1910. This is a massive four-pillar structure, which stands on a high base and is surrounded by an open gallery.From the river side, the altar part adjoins the cathedral.
This landmark of Suzdal is located on the left bank of the Kamenka River. According to legend, the monastery was founded in the forties of the XIII century by Alexander Nevsky. Under Catherine the Great, the monastery was abolished. The main building of the architectural complex is the Church of the Ascension, built in 1695 at the expense of the mother of Peter I.
This is one of the oldest architectural monuments in Russia. Rizopolozhensky monastery was founded in 1207. Located in the northern part of the city. After the end of the Patriotic War of 1812, a 72-meter bell tower was built on the territory of the monastery. The most recent building appeared here in 1882.
The architectural complex is located in the eastern part of Suzdal. The main building - Vasilievsky Cathedral, founded in 1662. The monastery was closed by the Soviet authorities in February 1923. The restoration was carried out in the late fifties, but for a long time warehouses were located here.
This is a favorite tourist destination. Here you can buy various Suzdal souvenirs.In winter, traders offer boots with outlandish patterns, attracting attention, but, according to some tourists, absolutely not practical. In addition, they sell gloves, hats, scarves. All this is relevant in the harsh Russian frosts, but is not always applicable for residents of megalopolises. At any time of year there is a wide selection of mead. Busy traders touting customers with fanciful appearances. In this part of Suzdal, an unusual fair atmosphere reigns.
The ensemble of Trade Square includes churches and shopping arcades. The earliest building was erected at the beginning of the XVIII century.
They were built at the beginning of the XIX century according to the project of Alexey Vershinsky, who in those years occupied the post of a provincial architect. The mall is the first urban building in the style of late classicism. In the central part there are high gates that are crowned with a spire and the coat of arms of the grand princely city of Suzdal. Previously, the gallery had about a hundred shops, but later they were converted into separate stores.
This temple is part of the Trade Square ensemble. Built in 1720.Nearby is the Kazan Church, erected around this time. The history of the origin of the temple is typical for that era, when in Russia the main building material was wood. At the beginning of the XVIII century there was a small wooden church here, which, of course, burned down one fine day. Built a stone temple. It is characterized by concise architecture, simplicity of form.
The temple is located between the fortifications of the Kremlin and the mall. Built in 1772. Originally, the church was called the St. Nicholas Church, but the name did not stick. This is a rather uncomplicated building: the apse is adjacent to the east, an octagon with a dome and a figured head rises on the central quadrant.
In addition to those described above, there are more than twenty churches in Suzdal. Temples, monasteries - the main attractions of this ancient Russian city. There are, of course, sculptures here, for example, a monument to Pozharsky - a politician and a national hero who led the militia. Monument opened in 1955.
There are several museums in Suzdal. One of them is located on the territory of the Kremlin.A wax museum is opened in the Nikolskaya Church. Of interest are not only historical monuments, but also small buildings that are located on the old street Stromynka. During your stay in Suzdal, you should not only see the sights with an all-knowing guide, but also take a walk through the narrow streets of the famous museum town.