Vegetarianism: pros and cons. Vegetarian cuisine: recipes
Veganism has long been in fashion, so to speak. The pros and cons of this lifestyle are not clear to everyone. To understand what this power system is, you should read the information below. This will help to do everything right, without receiving negative emotions and without causing harm to health.
So, we study the useful data.
What are the advantages of vegetarianism: a moral and ethical point of view
Many refuse to eat meat only because they consider it unacceptable to eat the corpses of animals, fish and birds. For such people, really the only solution is vegetarianism. Pros and cons of it are considered only in this aspect. Accordingly, the advantage is that you do not have to eat dead living creatures, and it turns out that there are no cons at all. Many supporters of vegetarianism say that by consuming vegetable food, they seem to see grateful views with which they would be rewarded by living animals.Isn't that at least the benefit of vegetarianism?
In addition, we must understand that the animals we eat are also kept in terrible conditions. For example, beaks are removed to chickens without any anesthesia, because in the crowdedness in which the birds are kept, they show excessive aggression. They try to peck at each other, which is problematic without a beak. By the way, such an operation in terms of pain is about the same as tearing nails from a person.
Leather shoes and clothes are made from ... calves not older than a couple of weeks.
200,000 heads of cattle are killed in a conscious state. Worse, they are also dipped into live-water tanks!
To justify the cost of keeping cows, they are stimulated to produce about 40 liters of milk per day, against a natural 5-7 liters. This is a direct path to a constantly inflamed udder.
Many of those who refuse meat, everyone knows it. And they simply cannot remain supporters of this industry.
Health: how does vegetarianism affect it?
Apparently, to say that this style of nutrition adversely affects the functioning of the body, it is not necessary.On the contrary, there is a lot of evidence about what effect vegetarianism has. The pros and cons are unevenly distributed! And the first more than the second.
- People who adhere to vegetarian principles live much longer than those who eat meat. They are much less likely to get sick. On average - by 20%.
- The risk of heart disease with the transition to the vegan table is reduced by 57%, and when following a diet of vegetarians, this risk is reduced by 23% - also a lot.
- The risk of overweight in such people is minimized. As well as the likelihood of a serious increase in blood pressure, cholesterol levels. Quite rarely, those who have refused meat have kidney problems (for example, where stones appear less often).
- Diabetes also recedes under the onslaught of vegetarian food - the possibility of its occurrence is halved.
- One of the worst diagnoses is oncology. So, those who adhere to such a lifestyle, you can breathe easy - a risk of getting cancer falls by 40%. This is facilitated by the fact that in plant foods a lot of vitamins A and E, and C.
- Vegetarians also have surprisingly few problems with the amount of bile.
- The risk of poisoning with fruits or vegetables is far less than the chance of getting any bacilli from poor quality or improperly stored sausage or meat.
- One of the most common ailments of our time is osteoporosis (in other words, increased bone fragility). This disease is associated with a reduced level of calcium in the body. So, a pattern has been revealed: those who eat a lot of meat and dairy products suffer from osteoporosis more often than those who refuse from this food. It turns out that vegetarian dishes are protection against casein and sulfur, which helps to ensure that calcium is excreted from the body.
- Much of the population consumes milk because it is supposedly useful. Only now about half of the people in the world are simply deprived of the enzyme that is responsible for the proper absorption of milk in the body. The result - an allergy to milk.
- Today, many people suffer from Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease. Research conducted in this direction confirms that vegans and vegetarians get these diseases much less frequently than those who do eat meat.
- Bowel cancer is another disease that occurs much more often in meat eaters.
- Children are a joy for parents. But! Studies have shown that the milk of nursing mothers who ate meat, in its composition, in addition to the beneficial elements, contained many harmful substances that were clearly ingested from the environment. At the same time, mothers who refused meat and milk fed their children milk, which was much less harmful impurities.
It turns out that the health benefits of vegetarianism are much more noticeable than it might seem at first glance.
And what are the other arguments in favor of vegetarianism?
To begin with, vegetarian dishes are just a treasure in our country, where something constantly happens with prices. It is easy to calculate that a kilogram of meat costs many times more than the same amount of beans, mushrooms or carrots. And you can feed these foods no less tasty than meat.
In this case, you will receive a minimum of harm, maximum benefit and save a lot of money.
Important in the world is the issue of saving water. To understand the whole potential of vegetarianism, we note that you can cook vegetarian dishes without meat, the production of which consumes 100 times more water than growing the same number of plants.
Are there any downsides?
Studying such an important issue, it is impossible not to mention that this power system has not only advantages, but also disadvantages. So, vegetarianism. Pros and cons - in terms of cons.
Deficiencies in the diet of vegetarians, in fact, appear only if the menu is composed incorrectly (that is, unbalanced). In other cases for an adult there are no flaws. And this is confirmed by practicing doctors, who are themselves vegetarians. Probably not just like that?
Often, people who have just abandoned meat, can not properly assess the signals of his body about the onset of satiety. Therefore, they begin to absorb "shock" quantities of food, especially leaning on pasta and sweets. The result is an excess of carbohydrates in the body. Therefore, it is not necessary to allow this.
As for children, here, of course, it is necessary to weigh all the pros and cons, because the kids still can not make decisions. And imposing your will on them is not the best option.
It is very important that doctors who are not too warm about vegetarianism, sometimes not too literate. So, you can hear that not all of the amino acids needed by the human body for normal functioning are in plant foods. As practice shows, this is a fallacy.
Here it is, vegetarianism. Pros and cons - there is.
Beginning of vegetarianism: how to come to this?
Some people become supporters of the rejection of meat, seeing how the process of killing the same chicken or, for example, a goose. It is known that a hen whose head has already been cut off can run about 10 more seconds. Admittedly, this sight is not for the faint of heart. After such an event, many decide for themselves that the basis of their diet will be plants.
Another argument is attachment to an animal. Indeed, not everyone can eat a rabbit that was surprisingly affectionate, or a goose that followed the owner on its heels.
For many, the transformation of the worldview becomes an incentive for changing the diet. For example, in Jainism, meat consumption is simply unacceptable. In Hinduism and Buddhism, the rejection of meat is also welcome. In India, for example, a cow - an animal, which is treated with special reverence, is considered sacred. Therefore, there is beef in this country - almost blasphemy. In Buddhism, there is no strict ban on eating meat, but the rejection of it is welcome.So in countries where these religions dominate, you can find plenty of recipes for vegetarian dishes.
Although in Christian religions there is no clear indication that meat should be discarded, but during the posts this product is taboo.
Also, meat from those who adhere to the principles of Ayurveda and yoga is not welcome.
Also, there are situations when doctors recommend to refuse meat. This is dictated by the fact that not always the patient can cope with the digestion of these products. Frequent and cases of allergies to milk.
Thus, it becomes clear that the reasons for abandoning meat products can be quite different. Regardless of what motives move a person, the decision must be conscious and thoughtful. And the process of transition to a new power supply system is as reasonable as possible.
How to make the transition?
There is a lot of information on how to switch to vegetarianism. The main decision is made. After this, it is necessary to gradually or radically refuse meat. It should be noted that the essence of vegetarianism is not only a refusal to eat animals.
As a rule, beginner vegetarians are lactic vegetarians.This means that they eat vegetable food, as well as milk (and its products), eggs. It is easier to move on to such a diet after the usual meat-eating, than to other, more strict forms of vegetarianism.
Lacto-vegetarians also refuse eggs. They believe that, eating an egg, you have to eat the chicken embryo, and this, in turn, is violence. In addition, supporters of this type of food use recipes of vegetarian dishes, in which there is no gelatin and rennet cheeses.
The next step is veganism. These people, not only refuse to meat, milk and eggs, and still do not wear clothes, shoes, accessories, for the production of which is used leather, fur or other body parts of animals.
If the three groups of vegetarians described above do not refuse the heat treatment of food, then raw foodists consider it unacceptable.
It should be understood that the refusal of meat does not make a person a vegetarian in the full sense of the word. To consider yourself as such, it is necessary to fully accept the new concept of the world, based on the fact that in no way you can harm living beings. Therefore, in order not to shock your body, not to cause disruptions in its work, it is worth making the transition gradually.Ideally, in consultation with a doctor who will tell you which foods to choose and, possibly, advise you to take vitamins at first. Note that vegetarians most often lose less exactly the same substances as people who consume meat. This is usually iodine, iron and vitamin B12. To bring the number of these elements back to normal, one should often use citruses, pickled and pickled fruits and vegetables (apples, cabbage), breakfast cereals, which are additionally enriched with necessary vitamins, yeast.
You need to know that it does not hurt to periodically, approximately once every six months, take tests. Hemoglobin, albumin, total protein are subject to control. In accordance with the data obtained, it will be necessary to adjust the diet.
Very important for those who plan to make the transition to vegetarianism, will be the statement of Beins Dun, who said that you can nominally not eat meat, but be vain, proud, etc. So, such a person can not be a real vegetarian. Thoughts should be pure, bright, filled with love and care for others. Only with this attitude you can make the transition to vegetarianism.
Vegetarian cuisine for every day: is it convenient?
Practice shows that such a diet is quite economical. And the time spent on cooking and shopping is spent exactly the same, if not less, as in the case if the menu is dominated by meat.
Of the very affordable products you can cook vegetarian dishes for every day.
White cabbage stewed with apples
What you need: cabbage (about 1 kg), sweet pepper (preferably red) - 1 pc., Vegetable oil (refined or unrefined) - 4 tablespoons, apples (sweet and sour, medium size) - 4 pcs., Salt, Pepper - at your discretion.
How to cook:
- cabbage must be cut quite large, and then pour boiling water over it and cover tightly with the lid (do not remove the lid until the water has cooled);
- peppers and apples are cleaned from seeds and cut into large enough, and then fry in vegetable oil (enough 2 spoons);
- we take the cabbage out of the water (you can fold it in a colander), fry in a frying pan until golden brown;
- mix all ingredients and simmer for about 10 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
Pilaf with prunes and spices
What you need: long grain rice (2 cups), dried prunes (boneless, 20 pieces), vegetable oil (5-6 tablespoons), large carrots (2 pieces), salt, seasonings.
How to cook:
- carrots must be cleaned and grated on a coarse grater, then put it in a bowl with thick walls (optimally - a cast-iron cauldron), at the bottom of which oil is poured;
- add salt and seasoning oil (if ready seasoning is used, then you can take about 1 tablespoon, if you improvise, you can use cumin, turmeric, black pepper);
- until the carrot is stewed, rinse the rice well;
- when the carrot is soft, you will need to add rice and prunes to it (it is better to cut it in half), mix everything and leave for 5 minutes under the lid;
- pour water (preferably hot) into the container in a ratio of 1 to 2, that is, 4 cups;
- mix everything and cover.
After the water boils, the pilaf will be ready to eat after 20 minutes. Important! No need to mix components during cooking.
And that's not all vegetarian dishes!
Potato salad with mushrooms
What you need: boiled potatoes (in uniforms, 5-6 large vegetables), vegetable oil (you can choose any: sunflower, olive, flax) - 3 tablespoons, salt, sugar, pepper, pickled champignons - 300 gr., Greens ( parsley, dill) - to your taste.
How to cook:
- boiled in advance and cooled potatoes are cut into medium cubes, and champignons - in small slices, finely cut the greens;
- mix all the products, add butter, salt, sugar (approximately pinch) and pepper.
Salad with avocado and pineapple
What you need: medium-sized pineapple, avocado fruit (2 small), lettuce leaves (lettuce) - 1 small bunch, olive oil (2 tablespoons), cardamom (green), salt.
How to cook:
- peel pineapple and cut into medium-sized cubes;
- remove the bone from the avocado, pre-cutting it into two parts, and also cut it into cubes
- tearing lettuce leaves into small pieces (it’s better not to cut with a knife);
- mix all the products, season the salad with oil, cardamom (literally at the tip of the knife) and salt to taste.
- if there is a desire - the salad can be supplemented with sesame.
Includes vegetarian cuisine recipes and sweet dishes, they are quite tasty!
Strawberry dessert with nuts
What you need: fresh strawberries (1 cup), roasted almonds (half a glass), cashews (raw, one and a half glasses), dates (half a glass), one and a half lemon, half a glass of coconut milk, 2 tablespoons of honey, a quarter of a teaspoon of salt.
How to cook:
- Almonds and dates need to be crushed into a homogeneous mass in a blender (with salt), then put it all into a detachable form, rammed tightly, and then put the form in the freezer;
- Cashew nuts, pre-soaked (about 2 hours), mix with juice, squeezed from lemons, honey and coconut milk, chop in a blender and put most of (2/3) in the form, located in the freezer;
- add strawberries to the remaining mass and mix well, and then put into a form.
About an hour before the dessert is served, it needs to be moved to the fridge. Cutting this pastry masterpiece is best with a sharp knife.
Agree, diverse! But that's not all! Contains a variety of vegetarian recipes and drinks.
Lemon and Cane Sugar Drink
What you need: cane sugar (300 grams), lemons (6 pieces, medium size), water (one and a half to two liters).
How to cook:
- squeeze juice from lemons (it will turn out about 300 milliliters);
- put cane sugar in a bowl and pour a small amount of lemon juice;
- stir the juice and sugar so that there are no lumps in the mass;
- add the remaining juice and a tablespoon of lemon zest;
- mix 450 grams of sugar-lemon mass with two liters of water.
Vegetarian dishes for every day can be cooked in a slow cooker.
Vegetable oatmeal soup
What you need: onions, carrots, potatoes - 1 each, mushrooms - 4-5 pieces, dry celery - one and a half teaspoons, dry parsley - 1 teaspoon, coriander - one third teaspoon, salt to taste, 120 grams of oatmeal (“ Hercules "), bay leaf - 2 pieces.
How to cook:
- finely chopped onions and grated carrots put in a slow cooker and turn on the "Baking" mode (20 minutes);
- add diced potatoes and mushrooms to the vegetables, as well as spices and oatmeal, then pour water (level - to the top mark);
- turn on the mode "Quenching" for 1 hour.
Well, a bit of exotic: vegetarian Indian cuisine!
What is needed: red beans (canned, 1 jar), sweet pepper (2 pieces), tomato paste (1 jar), onions (1 piece), garlic (1 clove), greens (1 bunch), salt and seasonings - to taste .
How to cook:
- finely chop and fry the onions, adding pepper and garlic;
- pour all this tomato paste and add beans;
- add salt and spices, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with finely chopped greens before serving.
Now you know how to cook delicious vegetarian dishes from cuisines of different nations of the world. This will allow you to organize your own food and nutrition of people close to you correctly! And you can answer questions about what vegetarianism really is. Pros and cons are known to you!
You can also fend off attacks on vegans that are tasteless. After all, you already know that vegetarianism - food is not only healthy, but also tasty. And still to cook according to these recipes simply, having modern equipment. Confirmation of this - vegetarian dishes in a slow cooker, as mentioned above.
Good luck with your nutritional experiments. Remember that the love of living things is certainly rewarded. You will understand this by becoming a vegetarian!